Sunday, January 6, 2013

Whole30: Days 5 & 6

The weekend always strives to sabotage my valiant efforts at eating healthy. I down veggies and protein, hit the gym, and practice yoga during the week, but when the weekend arrives I instantly crave a hit of sugar (or pizza, or some other fatty, salty concoction). I give in to one bite, and the gorging commences. Monday mornings, I'm usually battling a sugar hangover.

Well not this weekend! I've stuck to the Whole30 guidelines, and though I've yet to experience the energy surge that is promised, I do feel happier and confident that I'll make it the whole 30 days. The key is that I've kept myself busy. The week days are easy for me to maintain healthful eating because they are so structured. I get up, go to work, teach a class or workout, walk the dog, and afterwards there's no time left to do much of anything. The weekends, however, are wide open. With the exception of teaching a class Saturdays at noon, I can do whatever I want. I've learned (and it's taken a long time) that I've got to structure my weekends almost as much as my weekdays in order to prevent myself from an eating spree.

Still, though, I like a yummy snack, something special to munch on over the weekend. Enter caramelized coconut flakes (from the Well Fed cookbook). If you crave crunchy and savory morsels, then this is for you. Don't like coconut? Give it a try anyway because it doesn't taste very coconutty to me. It's more like popcorn. Plus, they're so easy and quick to make. Even I didn't mess them up!

All you need. How simple is that?

 
Ingredients:
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt

Directions:
  • Mix the cinnamon and salt together in a bowl.
  • Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add coconut flakes and distribute evenly to form a single layer. Stir frequently. It takes only about 3 minutes for them to crisp and turn brown. When they're toasty enough for you, remove the pan from the heat.

  • Toss the flakes with the salty cinnamon until evenly distributed. Then eat! I like them warm, but if you let them cool, they become extra crunchy.


That's my little blurb for the weekend. More to come tomorrow. Hope you're geared up for another awesome week!

Christan 

3 comments:

  1. I pulled these same ingredients out Sunday afternoon and had GQ make a batch, actually two. She told me you had just posted about them! Great minds. I tasted them AFTER I read your post, you know I don't care for the taste of coconut, at all! But, they were not bad, just an little coconutty aftertaste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christan, my love, where do you get the coconut flakes? All I've seen at Kroger is the smaller flaked coconut. This sounds good; I'd like to try it. Some of the rest of us have had to start over, not just Gracie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought mine at Whole Foods, but I bet Fresh Market has them too. It was about $3 or so for the bag in the pic. No worries abouy starting over. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete