Thursday, January 17, 2013

Whole30: Day 17

At day 17 we're supposed to be feeling like golden rivers of endless energy are coursing through our veins. We should be sleeping better and no longer have cravings, but the Whole30 makers stress that every one's experience is different. It may take longer for some than others to reach this point. I thought I was there, but I haven't been sleeping well at all, dreaming of lemon bars and icing this time. My energy scrapes the bottom of the barrel, but that's because I'm sick with a vicious cold. The dreams and the crap sleep I can't figure out though. It's frustrating. But then I remember, we still have roughly two weeks left. I think about all the changes that occurred in the first two weeks, and that makes me feel better that in the next two the "magic" will finally happen. I won't give up. You don't either.

*****

One of my husband's very good friends died yesterday after succumbing to a life long battle with Muscular Dystrophy. He was only 28, and he was one of the most inspirational people I've ever met. Despite being confined to a wheel chair and unable to do the most basic every day functions, such as bringing a glass of water to his lips, Eric accomplished more in his short life than most. He never lacked ambition. One day he and his brother (who was also diagnosed with MD and passed away last year) decided they wanted to write and publish a novel so they did. It wasn't a daunting task that they only dreamed of doing. They just committed to it, and the result took care of itself.

I can't do Eric and his life justice with my words, but I can celebrate his life and be grateful for the example he set. He never gave up. He never let his disabilities limit him. He lived as normal a life as he could, and it turned out to be extraordinary. I make a lot of excuses daily to avoid things that scare me or that I think pose too big a challenge. Fear controls many of my actions. But today I throw off that fear. I have the privileges of health, mobility, and choice in what I do and where I go; privileges that Eric was denied. Today I step forward to live a daring life and conquer my dreams.

Whether it is completing the Whole30, writing a book, leaving your job and starting your own business, or letting loose and dancing in front of a crowd, don't let fear stop you. Don't be overwhelmed by how hard or impossible it may seem. Just commit and do it. I can't promise you it will all be roses and rainbows, but I can promise that you won't regret trying.

Peace, Eric, and love to the rest of you.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Christan, you made me cry. Your words are so sweet - of course they are, YOU are! Thanks for sharing your inspiration and for being such an inspiration, yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Aunt Deb. I love you. Thank you for all of your encouragement. It means so much.

    ReplyDelete