Monday, January 14, 2013

Whole30: Day 14

Pinned Image

I had my tuchus served to me on a silver platter Saturday. The Brickhouse class at Thrive Studio in Chattanooga (where I teach Tuesdays and Saturdays so come see me!) is a hour long pain fest of agility drills, calisthenics, kettle bells, and bridge sprints. Two minutes in, at burpee number ten, my legs were toast. By the end, I was lying flat on the dirty floor in a puddle of sweat and rain. It was exhilarating but a wake up call too. If the zombie apocalypse erupts tomorrow, I'm their first course. My only hope would be to hide and wait it out because I can't run to save my life.

That means it's time to amp up my workout routine. Week two is under our belts, and you should be finished with the detox phase and feeling much more energetic. I've notice that those perpetual, nagging headaches, brain fog, and fatigue have lifted. Cravings are gone, even the desire to have something sweet after dinner. With the revived energy it's the perfect time to focus on adding some extra movement to our day.

I teach five spin and yoga classes a week. I count the spin as my cardio, and an additional three times a week I do some heavy weight lifting. If you want to change the shape of your body, heavy lifting is the way to go. It'll get your heart rate up while building and tightening your muscles, and the calorie burn lasts for hours afterward. Plus, the more muscle you have the more you burn, and you just feel like a bad ass hefting all that iron in the gym.

Anyway, it's clear I've got to do some work to build agility and endurance when it comes to push ups, sprints, and plyometrics (jumping exercises) so here's the shake up:

Monday: AM- 45 minutes heavy lifting
                PM- Kickboxing
Tuesday: AM- 30 minutes agility drills, plyo, sprints, etc.
                PM- Teach spin
Wednesday: AM- 45 minutes heavy lifting
Thursday: AM- 30 minutes agility drills, plyo, sprints, etc.
                  PM- Teach spin/yoga
Friday: AM- 45 minutes heavy lifting
Saturday: AM- Brickhouse class or yoga
                         Teach spin/yoga

Then again, my aunt shared this video with me.


I'm hooked. Chattanooga, watch out. Dance walking classes are coming soon!

So think about ways you can move a bit more during your day. The energized, healthy feeling you've got now by getting your nutrition on track will be amplified by physical activity. Get out and do what ever you enjoy most. Walk, run, dance, swim, practice yoga, lift weights, do a body weight circuit, take a spin class or a body pump class, Zumba, or fitness dvds. YouTube has several yoga and workout videos to try. For the next half of our Whole30, add another facet to your challenge by committing to physical activity at least three days a week. Grab your tennis shoes and water, and let's go.



4 comments:

  1. That video...is hysterical.

    The befit channel on YouTube has lots of really great workout videos. I have yet to find my favorite, but I like to do some of the yoga ones in the morning, and something to boost my cardio in the afternoon.

    Thanks for your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I asked Gracie a question, now I have one for you ~ what is "nutritional" yeast? Is it the same as brewer's yeast? I've seen it called for in a couple of recipes this past week - as a component of faux cheese - once for mac and cheese (I know, no pasta - just looking), and once for cheesy kale chips (got the recipe from Whole Foods).
    BTW, how did your kale chips turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have searched high and low for nutritional yeast and cannot find any. Not even at our whole foods. I've been too lazy to Google and see if it goes by a different name (or is the same as another yeast). I skipped the kale chips and just made nori chips, which were delicious. I think I'll try the kale chips this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I did some Googling and discovered that it is different from brewer's yeast. They are made differently (brewer's yeast is a leftover from the beer brewing process) and according to the sites I visited (and here is the one I found most enlightening: http://invitationfrom-gnewvegan.blogspot.com/2008/01/nutritional-yeast-flakes-vs-brewers.html), nutritional yeast has a "cheesy" flavor, while brewer's yeast is more bitter (and I can personally attest to that).

    ReplyDelete