Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Whole30: Day 2

Day 1 down! We are one step closer!

“Weezy Wednesday’s” will start next week, which means today is “Why do I feel like pure crap? Wednesday”. You may not feel this way yet, but a word of warning, you will. I jumped started this challenge by eating Whole30 compliant all day Monday so yesterday was really my day two. My body wasted no time in detoxing, and, damn, did I feel it. Days 2-7 of the challenge, your body begins its initial detox. It informs all the gunk and toxins that have been stored in your body for the last several days, months, or years even to get the hell out, and they wreak havoc as they leave. Yesterday, my head ached as if a drill was boring through my right temple. I was fatigued and nauseous. My stomach wrenched every time I thought of or smelled food. Detox sucks.

The degree and length of detox will vary for each of you. If you eat healthfully most of the time, but just  pigged out over the Holidays like I did, your detox process may only last a few days to a week. If you’ve consistently eaten less healthy foods for months or years, the detox may take a little longer. The detox phase is rough, but you will come out of it feeling light, energetic, and mentally sharp. That’s a reward that’s worth it.

If you’re experiencing detox symptoms, hang in there and try these tips:
·         Chug water. Already drink 8 cups a day? Shoot for 12, or a gallon. (Your bathroom will become your favorite room in the house.)
·         Even if you feel nauseous, you still need to fill up on nutritious foods. Whole foods turn my stomach when detoxing so try soups, bone broth, and green smoothies until your tummy settles.
·         Gentle Exercise. There’s nothing I love more than a hardcore weights workout, but I find it impossible to complete when detoxing. Your energy levels are taking a dip so be mindful and dial back the exercise for a couple of days. Enjoy a leisurely walk or practice a gentle yoga sequence.
·         Get outside. I hate January. It’s dank, dismal, and dreary. And it’s cold. I despise the cold more than January. Bundle up anyway and spend a few minutes breathing in fresh air and soaking up whatever sliver of sunlight you can find. Find a place to sit, close your eyes, and focus only on your breath for five minutes. Instant rejuvenation.
·         Pamper yourself. Symptoms of detox can discourage even the most strong willed of us. The temptation to throw up our hands and say “screw it!” is compelling when you’re putting forth so much effort and feel so bad. Use self-care as a distraction. Take a long, hot bath. Make someone give you a massage. Meditate. Journal. Dance. Read. Just something to show a little love to yourself and get you over the detox hump.

Check out this article from the creators of the Whole30. It explains exactly how you can expect to feel as you progress through the month.

Do you feel overwhelmed yet? I want to encourage you throughout this process. The Whole30 is definitely a challenge. It requires commitment and planning, but I don’t want anyone to look at this and think, “There’s just no way.” We can make this simple. I posted a link yesterday to a whole 30 days’ worth of meals from Nom Nom Paleo. A lot of her recipes are detailed and call for ingredients you may have never heard of or don’t know where buy. Don’t let that discourage you. I posted that link just as an example of how creative and delicious this Whole30 can be.

I’ll be honest; I’m a terrible cook, and I don’t have the patience to make magical, gourmet meals ever day of this challenge. Most of my meals consist of simply seasoned protein and steamed veggies. My snacks are handfuls of olives, avocados, boiled eggs, or sometimes grapefruit. I’m not very imaginative when it comes to cooking, but that works for me and my busy schedule. For the sake of the challenge, I am trying to step it up a notch by trying out new recipes and taking the time on Sunday’s to prep my meals for the entire week. Also, because I don’t want any of you to think that the Whole30 is a bland, steamed chicken and broccoli only meal plan. You can make this the best and most diverse way of eating you’ve ever experienced.

If you’re looking at the links to recipes and websites and feeling overwhelmed, that’s ok. This Whole30 is doable, and we can make it simple. Take it one day and one meal at a time. Eat protein, veggies, and some healthy, plant based fats at every meal. That’s all you have to worry about. Don’t freak out if you don’t know what coconut aminos are. Don’t worry if your beef isn’t organic and grass fed. Just take it slow, breathe, and enjoy the process of caring for and healing your body.

We can do this. Just keep looking forward. I’m always here to help you out.

Christan

No comments:

Post a Comment