Monday, January 28, 2013

Whole30: Days 27 & 28

I bought my first piece of brand new furniture this weekend, a gorgeous, faux leather couch. My limited shopper's saavy scored it at over $100 cheaper than the original price. Adulthood, I have arrived.

Speaking of spending, there are two things we need to discuss. First, the biggest excuse I've heard for not trying the Whole30 (other than "I cannot survive without cheese!") is that eating healthy is expensive. Granted, a pound of lean ground beef and bags of fresh produce do cost a little more than a box of spaghetti noodles and a jar of sauce, however bags of chips, boxes of cereal, and cartons of ice cream aren't exactly a steal, especially if you want that delicious Blue Bell (over $6 for a half gallon). Eliminate the name brand processed goods from your buggie and you'll have significant cash left for all the yummy wholesome things you can eat.

Drive through meals, despite their reputation for keeping your wallet fat, cost nearly as much as sit down dining fare. A Zaxby's chicken finger plate is roughly $6.50. Take your date to a burger joint and you'll spend at least $12 for the both of you. Maybe it doesn't sound like much, but if you eat out once every day or even more than that it adds up. And if you get fancy and head to Long Horns or Olive Garden once a week, you'll plop down far more.

During this month, I've eaten out a whopping two times. Instead, I hit the grocery store every Friday night, stock up, and cook all my meals for the week. I buy a cart full of animal protein, fresh produce, and plant fats, and I've had more extra cushion in my bank account than ever before. If money is the issue holding you back from eating more nutritious foods, take a moment to assess how much you spend on eating out and buying processed foods. Budget your current food items and meals, then budget a Whole30 shopping list and compare the two. You'll find that it's more possible to finance healthy eating habits that you thought. Plus, think long term and consider what you'll save on doctor's visits and medicine that you no longer need because your body is optimally healthy due to the food you consume.

Remember:


Pinned Image
TRUTH.

Second, you've heard how sometimes people trade one addiction for another, like an alcoholic who becomes sober and starts chain smoking. Well, be mindful of how this manifests in your own life. Many people who take on the Whole30 have deep-seated emotional issues with food. It's their friend, their crutch, their addiction. Taking that away leaves a huge void. Kudos to you if you've experienced this and patched the hole with something constructive like exercise, researching more info about health and nutrition, or devouring book after book. However, often people tend to fill it with not so healthy alternatives- hours of TV or, my personal bear, spending money.
 
I've always been pretty tight with money. I've never really had much to save, but what I do have I ration out. Rarely have I ever paid retail for clothing; I just can't bring myself to do it no matter how bad I want the item. I struggle to justify spending on decor for my home or a new book to read. I've wasted far too many minutes of my life pacing aisles of stores debating whether or not I should buy something that isn't a necessity. Yet, within the last few weeks, all I've wanted to do is shop. And, boy howdy, have I shopped. The extra pillow of dough from not eating out has allowed me the freedom to go and buy, but it hasn't escaped me that a large part of my desire to spend is because I'm transferring addictions. At least I'm aware of the fact and can take steps to check myself so that things don't get out of hand. And, fortunately, I don't have a credit card, but I'm wiser than to spend money I don't have. I've seen too many people slide down that slippery slope.
 
So to sum up: No excuses, not even money ones. You can do the Whole30 or just eat "healthy" without breaking the bank. And, be mindful of how you might be filling the void once held by your emotional connection to food.
 
Stepping down from my soap box now....Go make this Monday awesome, peeps!



No comments:

Post a Comment