Friday, January 25, 2013

Whole30: Day 25

Good Friday Morning!!! There is no reason you should feel blue right now, but if you happen to be plauged by downers here's your remedy.


In all our years of kitchen dancing my sister and I never attempted to boogie on the table. Probably because we knew mom would forbid it, and because we would fallen and busted our butts while breaking the table. (Note- I had some hilarious videos from YouTube of "table dancing fails" for your viewing entertainment. Unfortunately, they all linked to much naughtier videos so that idea was nixed.)

Now that I'm grown with my own place, I thought my counter top might be a good substitute for a table. I was going to video myself getting down to today's jam (my new theme song, by the way). However, as I bounded onto the counter and banged my head against the ceiling, I discovered that I'm about a foot too tall to dance on it. Such a shame (mostly because now you'll never see my mindbending counter top dance moves).

Apparently it just wasn't in the cards for me to post multiple hilarious videos today, huh.

I taught some pretty epic spin and yoga classes yesterday. The music selection was perfect; the spin drills were intense but fun. I had seven people show up for yoga! (For Ringgold, GA that's phenomenal.) The alignment cues, gentle reminders to breathe, and theory of the root chakra flowed from my lips like silky honey. I don't intend to brag, I'm just excited. I get such a high from teaching, especially when the classes flow as well as they did last night. The more students, the stronger the energy and excitement I glean from them.

There is no denying that individuals have specific energies, and that those energies can be collected and transfered from one being to another. It may sound new age-y, and the thought of chakras in the body may turn you off. But once you've experienced the power of a class full of yogis moving and breathing together or felt yourself become secure and confident as you root your feet into the mat in mountain pose, you'll realize there is some truth to the universal connection and the mind, body, spirit connection that is emphasized in yoga.

I know some shy away from yoga because they presume it is saturated with pagan philosophy. While yoga's roots are in Hinduism, it is not emphasized in most classes or practice. It is the spiritual connection to God and to yourself that is highlighted. When I experience these connections to my true self and to others, it brings me closer to God. The times I have felt God's presence the strongest are often during and after a practice, especially when meditating. Yet whether you are Christian, Hindu, or something else entirely, the practice of yoga (and meditation) will help you cultivate a quiet spirit, rewarding you with peace, connection, and grounding. Get on the mat and you will only find benefits. You will find yourself.

Namaste.

1 comment: