Thursday, January 3, 2013

Whole30 Day 3

I took my own advice yesterday and guzzled over a gallon of water and green tea, hoping to alleviate the detox crud. By quitting time, the queasiness dissipated and my headache disappeared. My pup, Landi, and I jogged 2.5 miles along the river near our house. She made me work for the finish line, forcing me to sprint the last half mile in a game of chase.

"I love making my momma suck wind."
I haven't jogged that far non-stop in months. It's been even longer since I've sprinted. Actually, I don't think I've sprinted since senior year of high school soccer. My lungs burned. My knees ached. Landi mocked me with her canine grin, but the detox symptoms plaguing me vanished temporarily, and I felt amazing.

For a couple of years now, chicken and most pork turn my stomach. Just a few bites, and I gag. I must have forgotten this fact on Sunday, though, because I baked chicken thighs and boneless ribs as my main protein for the week. I forced myself to eat it these last three days, but I couldn't take anymore so I picked up some good looking steaks last night and proceeded to over cook them. (A well done steak is a crime!) My sister, Gracie, and brother, Morgan, inherited the cooking skills of the family. During hunting season, when we all lived at home, Morgan transformed plump, feathered quail into juicy, bacon wrapped morsels of savory goodness. Gracie ate butter by the stick. But now, whenever I visit, she always has something creative and delicious simmering on the stove....

And I've got gray, chewy steak. It was still good, though, and it settled better with my stomach than the chicken and pork. Awareness of simple things like this is one of the ways we acquaint ourselves with and listen to our bodies. Mindfulness is a practice. It may not be easy to discover what your body is telling you right now. I spent the last three days choking down that chicken and pork before finally realizing (or accepting, rather) that my body might not like those things for fuel.

Throughout this month you will become more in tune with your body and its wants and needs. Including simple breathing exercises or meditation will help heighten your mindfulness practice. Take a moment right now to sit up tall in your chair (or cross-legged on the floor). Tuck your tailbone slightly so that you feel your core engage. Shrug your shoulders to your ears, then roll them back, letting your shoulder blades slide down your back and feeling your chest expand.

Close your eyes and breath. Inhale and exhale ten full, slow breaths through the nose only. Keep your shoulders relaxed and your neck and jaw at ease. Notice your breath as it enters your nostrils and inflates your belly. Notice as it evacuates, and your navel pulls up and back toward your spine. Maybe place one hand on your stomach and one on your chest to feel your breath as it moves through your body for ten more inhales and exhales....

That's all it takes. Twenty simple, mindful breaths can help center your mind and bring awareness of your body to its forefront. (Bonus: It's a very effective stress reliever!) And with continual practice that mindfulness will seep into all areas of your life. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

And smile because tomorrow is Friday!



No comments:

Post a Comment