Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Weezy Wednesday! Whole30: Day 16

My body is playing host to a germ block party. Do you know how hard it is to stay on the Whole30 while feeling like death? All I want are saltines, ginger ale, and cough drops. Thank goodness for my Momma and her intuition. She didn't know I was sick, but her post gives tips and a recipe to help  anyone who feels like they've been run over by a truck stick it out while staying compliant.

Take care, everyone, and slather in sanitizer!


I’m sick!  Not really, but it seems everyone around me is.  I cannot walk thru a store without hearing someone trying to hack up a lung.  I can hear the coughs and sniffles down the hallway at work.  AHHH,  I want to run away!  Instead, I keep the antibacterial gel nearby and wipe down door knobs, computer keys and telephones with the disinfectant wipes.
Note:  No medical advice is being given here, I am just telling you what I do…..

Sunday morning, I woke up at 3:00 (what was that about deep sleep while following the W30?) with a sore throat.  Ouch, it was really sore.  So I rolled out of the bed, stumbled to the kitchen and gargled with warm salt water.  It brought enough relief that I was able to fall back asleep pretty quick.  However, the next morning, it was worse, and I had a pounding headache to go with it.  My standard remedy for the headache is 2 naproxen sodium tablets (store brand, definitely), an analgesic patch at the back of the neck, and a super cold icepack on the head.  I crawled back into bed and prayed it would pass quickly.  Sometimes it does, sometimes it does not.  By midday, I was up and moving.  Throat still scratchy, but tolerable. 

    The month of January is a bear for me.  January 1st, I hit the ground running,   and I am already behind! Late nights; Saturdays; it will not let up until the 31st. The first day of February, I can finally take a breath, but right now? Getting sick now is a big no-no.  So, last week I pulled out the slow cooker and made bone broth.  I used bones from a chicken I had cooked earlier in the week, and beef bones from the store, because I wanted the darker, richer broth.  I added 2 large onions, with skin, the tops of a bunch of celery, and garlic, lots and lots of garlic.  After this cooked on low for A DAY, I strained it through a colander and placed it in the fridge.  The next day I skimmed off the fat, of which there was very little, warmed up a cup and sipped away.  Hmmm, yummy.  Believe it or not, I have been drinking a cup of this broth in the mornings.  I used to drink 2 cups of coffee.  Now, I am drinking 1 cup of coffee and a cup of broth. 

Why am I telling you this?  Because it’s 10:30 on Tuesday night and I’m tired and I don’t know what I’m saying.  Also, because I think this has helped me to avoid the sickness that is rampant around me. 

On the same note, daughter #2 will often ask for my ‘hot soup’ when she is feeling a cold come on.  This is a concoction I put together a few years ago when we were battling the ick.   We call it ‘hot soup’ because it will burn the cold right out of you. 

HOT SOUP:

Ingredients:

  • Chicken broth, boxed is fine, watch for msg . Homemade is better, you know what is in it.
  • Chopped onions
  • Jalapeno or other hot pepper, chopped  be generous (or cayenne pepper powder)
  • Chopped garlic, (lots of garlic)
  • Shredded Chicken (optional, it gives you something to bite into and chew)
Sauté the onions and chopped pepper in oil until golden.  Add garlic (lots of garlic). Cook and stir a couple of minutes, don’t let the garlic burn.   Add as much chicken broth as you want, heat it up.

Put on your jammies with the footies, ladle up a steamy mug, and snuggle under the covers on the couch.   You will feel better.

5 comments:

  1. Add some lemongrass and ginger - Hot and Sour! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made a pot of bone broth yesterday! Don't pass out... I am enrolled in an online telecourse about balancing energy and hormones with bio identical foods (the stuff found in foods that mimics the body's production of all those goodies) and Bone broth is not only an immune system fortifier, but also excellent for calcium (osteoporosis, anyone?and ) the production of red blood cells...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds really interesting. I want to read all your notes when your done!

      Delete
  3. whaaaaaaa?! That sounds really cool aunt Barb!

    ReplyDelete