Sunday, January 13, 2013

Whole30: Days 12 & 13

Note to self: Do not take a multi-vitamin with 6777% of Vitamin B before going to bed. I had this great idea that if I took it at night, my body would have a good eight hours to soak up all the nutrients. Instead I was up until four in the morning, clawing my eyes out because my brain and body were running ninety to nothing. At least I know that for a shot of energy, Vitamin B is the way to go.

The word on Facebook is that Statesboro, my home town, feels like beach weather this weekend. That's not too unusual for the middle of January, and I'm jealous. Also, the new bathing suits I ordered arrived. The coast is on my brain, and I could crawl out of my skin waiting for summer. To appease my need for some sun and sand, I decided to make seafood dishes for the coming week (but in this home they'll only last a day). Prepare to be impressed.
My pictures suck. I know.
 
I splurged and bought crab meat from Whole Foods yesterday and transformed it into the best crab cakes I have ever eaten. Maybe they were so good because I got to have two all for myself instead of just a couple of bites from an expensive restaurant appetizer that the whole table shares. Or maybe the were just freaktasticly delicious because that's what crab is. The recipe is simple and doesn't require much time so if you're tired of the same protein staples you've been noshing for the past two weeks, definitely try these. Try them regardless.
 
Do you like football? The hubby and I don't watch it much until the end of the season when the playoff games begin. Then we become die hard fans rooting for our Eagles, Bulldogs, and Falcons. I'm crossing my fingers that the Dirty Birds will pull a W today and head to the NFC championship, but they have a bad habit of choking in these playoff games. I hold out hope, but win or lose, I'll be eating good.
 
Football just isn't football without munchies and chrunchies. Enter nori chips, coconut lime crusted shrimp, and jicama home fries.
If you miss sushi or chips, eat these.

S.H.R.I.M.P.

The nasty looking mound of brown chunks with the shrimp are the jicama home fries, and they're pretty tasty. Reminiscent of potatoes, just slightly sweeter, they came out crisp and toasted like hash browns. In an effort to keep all the shrimp to myself I coated them with coconut flour and finely shredded coconut flakes because Blake can't stand coconut. That didn't stop him. His love of shrimp is stronger than his hate of coconut, dangit.  
 
Recipes are below. Have a beautiful Sunday.
 
NORI CHIPS:
 
Ingredients:
  • 12 nori sheets
  • water
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • your choice of spices. I chose salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Cover a couple of baking sheets with parchment paper or aluminum foil
  • Place 6 sheets of nori, shiny side up, on baking sheets. Lightly brush with water, being sure to reach the edges, then place another sheet of nori on top and press the two together.
  • Cut the nori into strips and arrange in a single layer on the baking sheets.
  • Combine the coconut oil and seasonings in a small bowl and using a pastry brush, coat the tops of the strips. Sprinkle with extra salt if you want.
  • Place on the middle rack of the over and bake for 15-20 minutes. They will crisp and turn a deep glossy green. Remove from oven and allow them to cool for maximum crunch.
 
JICAMA HOMES FRIES:
 
Ingredients:
  • 1 pound jicama peeled and cut into chunks
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 medium onion, finely diced
  • 1/2 plus 2 table spoons coconut oil
  • 1 tsp paprika (or your own spices of choice)
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1.4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/4 cup minced parsley
Directions:
  • Place the jicama and 1/2 tsp salt in a slow cooker and add enough water to cover the jicama by about 2 inches. Cover and cook on high for 12-24 hours. The longer it simmers the more tender it becomes. When the jicama has finished its soak, drain, pat dry, and place in the fridge until you're ready to start frying.
  • After soaking the jicama, Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1/2 tbsp coconut oil and allow it to melt. Toss the onion in the pan and saute, stirring frequently. Cook until nicely browned and transfer to a small bowl.
  • Add 2 tbsp coconut oil to the skillet and allow the pan to get hot. Add the jicama cubes, shaking the skillet to make an even, single layer. Cook the jicama without stirring until the cubes are golden brown on the bottom, about 5 minutes, then carefully flip the jicama with a large spatula and make another single layer. Repeat until jicama is browned on most sides.
  • When jicama is toasted to your liking, add the onions, paprika, chili powder, salt , and pepper to the pan. Stir to blend and heat through. Remove the home fries from the heat, stir in the parsley and serve immediately.
 
COCONUT LIME CRUSTED SHRIMP (An original creation!):
 
Ingredients:
(Note: I didn't use measurements. I just threw a little bit of this and a little bit of that together and it worked.)
  • 1 bag of pre-cooked and shelled jumbo shrimp, thawed
  • Lime juice
  • Coconut flour
  • Finely shredded, unsweetened coconut flakes
  • Salt and pepper
  • Coconut oil for cooking.
Directions:
  • Heat the coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat.
  • Pour lime juice into one bowl and mix coconut flour, shredded coconut, salt, and pepper together in another bowl.
  • Dip shrimp in lime juice then coat with coconut flour mixture.
  • Place in skillet and cook until browned (30 seconds to a minute at most). Flip to other side. (I had to keep adding coconut oil in order to cook these right. The mixture did not cling to the shrimp as well I I would have liked, but they still tasted amazing.)
  • Remove shrimp from skillet and place on a paper towel covered plate. Serve immediately.
  •  
 

1 comment:

  1. One: It's 75* here in the boro, and I wish it would stay like this forever.
    Two: Dirty bird dance your day away cause the falcons are going to the nfc championship, but I'm sure you have been watching the game and you already know.
    Three: I'm definitely going to try your recipes cause the quattlebaum household is gettin' a bit drab with all the chicken and burgers...

    ReplyDelete