Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Whole30: Day 22

I love comments on my posts (wink, wink), but the code you have to crack to publish one is ridiculous. "Akwexrp" is not a word, and when written in cursive it just looks like a doodle. And I must need glasses because I cannot decipher the blurry numbers even when squinting inches from the screen. So no blame here if you want to reply because I've so stunned you with my magnificent play of words, but can't.

My skin is in crisis. Tiny little bumps sprouted across my entire forehead and cheeks on Sunday and will not go away. I'd been using the Zero Oil moisturizer from Origins for about a week and had noticed a few unusual breakouts. Then it all erupted. So I booked it over to the Clinique counter, which is where I should have gone in the first place. My mamaw introduced me to Clinique as a teen, passing down the tradition of the 3 Step System and Dramatically Different Lotion like a sacred Southern tale. I love Clinique. I trust it. I should have known better than to waste my money elsewhere. Sure enough, after spending much more than my bank account preferred and slathering my skin in the recommended products, my face was instantly soothed and looked so much better.

Why do you need to know about my Clinique love? You don't, but we are down to the final week of our Whole30, and it is time to start thinking about treating yourself to a job well done. That does not include a double brownie fudge sundae. Well, I guess it could, but think long and hard about that, my friends. I have the hardest time with rewards. I can't allow myself something just because. The fact that I just spent 30 days eating zero processed foods and recalibrating my body doesn't justify buying the perfect pair of flattering, butt-lifting jeans at $200 a pair. Typically my splurge at Clinique and getting my hair cut and colored count for my rewards, but I was going to get them anyway so they can't really be considered rewards then, can they?

My challenge now for myself (and I challenge you too!) is to choose something that is purely a treat. Something that you want, simply because you want it, and frankly, you deserve it after this successful Whole30. Maybe I'll go for a massage, one of those fancy hot stone ones, or buy tickets to Six Flags, or spend the night up in Nashville. (Shoot, I'd come out cheaper with the jeans if I did that... My penny pincher is the second extra voice that crowds my head. Crap, I really do sound crazy to y'all, don't I?) Anyway, start deciding now what would really just hit the spot for you as your reward. I will talk you into it if your penny pincher won't shut up too.

I discovered kettle bells yesterday. Actually, I've known what they are for years, but I finally learned how to use them yesterday in a Kettle Bell Hell class. Yes, it was hell, but it was awesome. I felt like a bad a** swinging those molded balls of weight then dropping to the ground and doing dive bombers and renegades. Who wouldn't feel like a beast doing moves with those names? Extra bonus, I was the only one in the class so basically I had a personal trainer for the hour. I'm gonna have to make that class part of my weekly routine, and if you know of any kettle bell classes around your area, go take them! Your confidence will skyrocket in just a short hour. (And if you want to come with me next Monday, I can get you a free class pass. Actually, I can get you several!)

More randomness, my weekend and yesterday, were the best I could have hoped for. The days were glorious, doused in sunshine and slightly crisp. We spent Saturday walking Landi around downtown Chattanooga, which was an experience to say the least. Sunday, I threw on my bikini top and achieved tan lines. Yesterday, we had dinner with the most lovely new couple. Well, the wife was lovely. The husband was one of Blake's fellow Troopers. That tells you all you need to know. I love making new friends, and I especially love when I click with someone right off the bat. And they're so young! I've finally taken on the roll of wise trooper wife, guiding the young chick through the struggles of married life to the uniform. That sounds so noble, ha. It's actually a lot of high pitched, fast paced griping and rolling of the eyes, wiping our hands down our face, shrugging our shoulders and conceding, "He loves it. We love him." And I do. I love that Blake with all of my heart. Every little blood cell streaming through my blue veins loves him. He's a handful, but he's worth it. That's another thing my Mamaw passed down to me. The smarts to pick a good man, a man like my Papa and my daddy. Well, I did.

Love to all of you.
Christan

No comments:

Post a Comment