Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The most awesome Valentine gift

Look at the new toy my super sweet weekend valentine bought me!
Cue happy dance.
 
For its inaugural use, I whipped up a double batch of homemade mayo. No longer will I waste precious minutes and tire my forearm while slowly drizzling olive oil into a blender! This baby gets the job done in 60 seconds flat. I just tossed all the ingredients in a bowl, pressed power, and the emulsion blossomed before my eyes.

Momma and I decided last weekend that we are doing another Whole30 (starting yesterday). Neither of us followed the reintroduction process as outlined. I've been going hog wild with sugar consumption in all its obvious and hidden forms, which is probably why every part of my body that had slimmed down in January has plumped up again. Yep, it's true. Those jeans from Christmas 2011 are once again in the back of the closet because they won't slide over my hips. Am I going to beat myself up over it? Ha, I already have. Nope, I'm just going to jump back into the Whole30, cleanse my body with whole foods, and learn from the stumbles I've experienced in the last couple of weeks.

More importantly, we have booked our summer vacation. June 22 will arrive in a hurry so mom and I want to get a jump start on our smokin' bikini bods. Plus, my daddy, who did the Whole30 with us in January lost a disgusting unbelievable 20 pounds! Genuinely giddy, he glowed as he announced on Monday that he is back to his high school weight. Ugh, men....

So back to the Whole30 it is. However, I'm doing it more for the structure and the peace that structure brings to my life than for shedding body fat for summer. As I reread posts from just a few short weeks ago, the happiness and balance I experienced leaps from the page and smacks me in the face. I've felt like my life tailspinned into a mess once the Whole30 was over. So why not go back to it and reclaim that happiness and balance? It only makes sense. (And please note that my situation is a bit unique. If you're in the middle of a Whole30 or thinking about doing one, don't think that you are doomed to rebound or yoyo back to your old habits or old body. You have the control, and you can make it successful. So can I; I just have to quash Ed.)

I won't blog about this second go 'round, unless I experience some huge revelation. But I will make an effort to continue posting something everyday (whether you like it or not, muhahaha). I think Thursday posts will be yoga focused and Fridays will be a bit more creative in nature. Maybe Tuesdays or Wednesdays will feature a recipe; not of my own creation though, unless you crave something burned and inedible. But I do see lots of creamy soups and purees in my future now that I have my new toy. I want to make an effort to be more positive on Mondays and start the week off on an uplifting note. My brother Morgan suggested "MoMo Mondays", which (since coming from his mind) would be a hilarious rapid fire of insanity. Hmmm...we'll see.

Homemade mayo (in case you never clicked any of the links to this recipe I posted before):
From Theclothesmakethegirl.com
Ingredients:
1 egg @ room temp
2 tablespoons lemon juice @ room temp
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup plus 1 cup olive oil (light, not extra virgin) @ room temp
Directions:
1. Place the egg and lemon juice in a blender or food processor. Let them come to room temperature together, about 30-60 minutes. Add the dry mustard, salt, and 1/4 cup of the oil. Whirl until well mixed – about 20 to 30 seconds.
THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART!
2. The only remaining job is to incorporate the remaining 1 cup oil into the mixture. To do this, you must pour very slowly… the skinniest drizzle you can manage and still have movement in the oil. This takes about three minutes or so. Breathe. Relax. Drizzle slowly.
If you’re using a blender, you’ll hear the pitch change as the liquid starts to form the emulsion. Eventually, the substance inside the blender will start to look like regular mayonnaise, only far more beautiful. Do not lose your nerve and consider dumping! Continue to drizzle.
If your ingredients were all at room temperature and you were patient, you will be rewarded!

OR...dump everything into a bowl, take your precious immersion blender, and go to town. Woohoo!

1 comment:

  1. Lucky girl! I had an immersion blender and I really liked it; unfortunately, it was cheaper (plastic shaft and gear) and broke not too long ago. I went to BB&B to replace it, but ended up getting a small chopper/grinder, instead. (My immersion blender had a chopper attachment that I used more frequently, so I spent a little more to get a good one.) Still in the market for the immersion blender, I miss it, so I'd like to hear more about yours as you use it!
    And MoFRANK Mondays? I'm all for it! (Do get the name right, OK?)

    ReplyDelete