Friday, February 8, 2013

Avocado- the other green goddess

It's Friday!!!! No other words are needed. The song says it all :)

 
 
When I was young the only thing about avocados I cared for was the pit. I loved rolling the smooth orb between my palms and across my lips. Now, I've cornered the market on avocados. Every week I buy a huge bag and devour them as they ripen during the week. My preferred method of eating is slicing one in half and eating spoonfuls, scraping the rind the rind when I'm done, but I think it's time I branch out a bit. Here's what I'll be eating this weekend:
 
BAKED EGGS IN AVOCADOS
Pinned Image
 
I found this on Pinterest, but the link was to a Tumblr, and after scrolling several pages and not finding a recipe I gave up. I know, I'm lazy. However, I have heard of cooking eggs in muffin tins so I'm going to use the same heat and time used for those to cook these babies.
 
Ingredients:
1 avocado sliced in half, pit removed
2 eggs
Seasonings of choice
 
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Break eggs and dump one into each center of the avocado halves.
Season to your liking.
Bake in oven 8-10 mintes until eggs are cooked as desired.
Too easy!
 
BAKED AVOCADO FRIES
 

Pinned Image
 
Another Pinterest find, but this one did have a recipe (Yay!)
 
Ingredients:
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs, beaten
1 1/4 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
2 firm-ripe medium avocados, pitted, peeled, and sliced into 1/2-in. wedges
Grated parmesan for serving (optional) Mary Note: Not optional in my opinion

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450.
Coat avocado slices in the four, then egg, then panko. Spread on a cooling rack that has been sprayed with non-stick spray, then place on a cookie sheet. Spray the top of the wedges with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, then bake for about 20 minutes at 450, or until they are golden brown (I turned my oven up to 500 for the last 5 minutes).

To make these Paleo/Whole30 friendly substitue almond flour for the regular flour (I found Bob's Red Mill brand at Walmart). I'm also going to substitute the panko with finely shredded unsweeted coconut. It should give the fries the same texture and a little extra tang.

Weekend mornings aren't complete without a comforting breakfast. I'm a huge fan of these almond butter pancakes from Detoxinista.com (Swap the the applesauce with pureed pumkin for a twist or add a touch of honey if you want them a tad sweeter.) But lately I've been jonesing for some granola. I picked up some slivered almonds, chopped pecans, sunflower seeds, and macadamia from the store and plan on mixing those with coconut flakes, unsweetened banana chips, and a few raisins. I'm thinking a half a cup of each item (except for the raisins) stirred together and lightly toasted in the oven. Maybe a small drizzle of honey on top. Served with almond or coconut milk. A high fat meal it may be, but remember plant based fats such as nuts, seed, and coconut are extremely beneficial for our bodies and health. Also this dish is very low in sugar, depending, of course, on the amount of raisins and honey you use. Most importantly though, it's a satisfying breakfast with the crunch of granola and it's 100% whole, unprocessed. Doesn't get any better than that.

Hope you all have a great day. Groove. Dance. Try a new recipe this weekend a let me know about it.  Here's my list for Gratitude30 day 4:
  • Budding yogis who are eager to learn and leave class with visibly relaxed bodies and peaceful smiles.
  • Sales on items I need that coincide with a $10 off coupon I've got. Saving beaucoups is always a treat.
  • Hot showers
  • Friendly neighbors who are always willing to help us out, whether it be moving a couch or checking on the dog.
  • Really comfy yoga pants, which are going to double as tights with boots pulled over them tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Every once in a while I buy the Food Network magazine and the January issue was one of those (stuffed peppers on the cover, yum!). They suggest pressing the outside surface in different herb and spice combinations, then slicing and serving: Old Bay seasoning (and salt, but I suspect you could leave off the salt and no one would know), bacon and smoked paprika, poppy seed and salt ... I think I'm going to try it with lemon pepper and a hint of garlic.
    Love your music selection!
    Gotta go - the Andy Griffith where they try to convince Otis he's dead is on ... "We shall meet and we shall miss him, there shall be a vacant chair ..." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said, "the outside surface;" I meant peeled, of course!

    ReplyDelete