Monday, February 25, 2013

Dust free= avoidance

My house is spotless. I dusted every slat of every blind, behind the fridge, and under the washing machine and dryer. I vacuumed under every piece of furniture, inside the window sills full of decaying bugs. I even scrubbed the baseboards and door fronts in the livingroom and hall. God bless the creator of the Magic Eraser for making that task infinitely easier.

I always prefer a clean house, and with the aroma of sping riding on the breeze it seems like a good time to brighten everything up. Honestly, though, I clean to avoid. There's always something dirty or cluttered around the house which always offers me the perfect excuse to avoid, say, writing my blog, or finding new music for cycling class, or prepping my meals for the week, or working out even. During the week I have no down time to make excuses to procrastinate. From 5:00 am when I wake up to 8:00pm when I usually get home I am on the go. For the breif hour before I pass our at 9:00, I'm usually already crashed on the couch, trying and failing to reduce a little stress, or I'm making a last ditch attempt to get myself ahead of the game for tomottow. The weekend is wide open. I successfully schedule my mornings to keep me occupied and our of danger of a food fest, but the afternoons are more difficult. I want to do something fun, like explore Chattanooga, so I put off the writing and the class prepping, and the next week food prepping. Or I want to nap, or I don't want to live my entire life scheduled out to the minute. I may need to do that because it helps keeps me on the many tracks I needs to be on, but my defiant inner child doesn't like it. I wanna do, what I wanna do, when I wanna, do it, and I don't want to do THAT.

Sparkling base boards are definitely a reward for hard work, and I know I did not waste my time, but I did avoid my responsibilities and the other things I needed to do to keep me in balance this week. Why do we humans do that? Why do we avoid the things that we know are good for us, the things that will bring us health, balance, and even extra time on our hands? I need to know your secrets because right now I'm at a loss. How do you shut up your bratty inner child and do the things that will benefit you? Like I've said the key for me is structure. It's what gets me throught the week with my head above water and would get me through my weekend with out fear of bingeing, but take effort, commitment, and planning- things I loike to go light on during the weekend.

Anyway, that's all I've got this morning. Share with me your motivation to keep it going when your inner kid is kicking and screaming. Hope you all had a lovely weekend and a super week ahead! Love to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment