Monday, March 11, 2013

Spring, Glorious Spring.

Yesterday was glorious. The sky was hazy, but the sun still shone. The wind danced and flirted with the trees, and the blue jays and robins sang to each other from sunrise to sun set. Spring is by far my favorite season. As nature comes alive so does my soul. It shakes the doldrums from its shoulders and stretches its arms wide opening my heart to the new season of growth.

Spring's official start is still 10 days away, but here in Georgia, it has already arrived. To celebrate I woke early and baked morning glory muffins (a flour/added sugar free, paleo version of course). I found a peaceful rhythym chopping walnuts and grating carrots. My mind drifted back to the couple of months I spent on a ranch in Arizona, and the uh-maz-ing mornining glory muffins they served. I lost in thoughts of cacti   and a stubborn horse named Quincey until I decided to grate the side of my pinky finger off. The result was pretty grusome. I don't do well at the initial sight of blood so I had to cover it in paper towels and squeeze until the blood clotted and my adrenaline ran its course. Now, I will have another lovely scar to remind me why I usually avoid the kitchen. The muffins, by the way were delicious.

Later in the morning, my pup and I took advantage of the weather and explored the Chickamauga Battlefield. When I first moved up here, the battlefield was my favorite place to go. The expansive terrain is dotted with several cannons and monuments, tributes to all those who fought there in the Civil War. There are dozens upon dozens of walking trails at the Battlefield; enough that you could walk a different route every day and not repeat one for at least 6 months. Though it is frequented by numerous visitors every day, it is large enough that you are still enveloped in the solitary peace of nature no matter where you walk.

After lunch I flung open the doors and windows and settled in for a nap while the breeze cleansed the apartment. I never, ever take naps. If I do, I feel guilty for "wasting time", but yesterday, a nap felt to me like fluffy, white whipped icing covering the top of a sweet Easter cake, a perfect treat. The rest of the day was uneventful. Blake went to work, and I browsed through World Market and TJ Maxx. I wish I could decorate my home with all the furniture in World Market. Its all classic and rustic yet modern and beautiful all at the same time.

On my way home I was stalked by a young man in a Cadillac, who drove beside me for miles motioning for me to give him my number and mouthing that I was beautiful. I was creeped out but slightly flattered as I had nothing but mascara on. Well, I did get my hair done yesterday, and though it's a little too dark for my taste, it must be working for me.

If yesterday had a theme it would have been peace. Every event minute of the day was cloaked in a calmness and freshness that soothed my body and mind and allowed me to rest for the first time in ages. Even my constantly spinning mind quieted for the day. It happens every time Spring comes around, and I'm so greatful for it. I hope your weekend was equally lovely. Here's the recipe for the muffins:

Morning Glory Muffins from Oxygen Magazine- April 2013 issue

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tbsp pumpkin spice (I used all spice)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 6 eggs
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil
  • 2 tbsp honey (I did not use this)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup pumkin puree (I used 1/2 cup)
  • 1 apple, cored, peeled, and grated
  • 1 1/2 cups carrot, peeled and grated
  • 1/2 cup chopped walknuts
  • 1/2 cup pitted dates, chopped (or raisins if you prefer)
  • 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
  • dash of salt
Directions:
  • Preheat over to 350 degrees. Line or coat a muffins tin with cooking spray.
  • Mix the first 4 ingredients and the salt in a large bowl. Stir in apples, carrots, walnuts, dates/raisins, and sunflower seeds until well combined.
  • Beat wet ingredients together in a separate bowl. Add flour mixture to wet ingredients and mix until combined.
  • Fill muffin cups and bake 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Notes: I didn't have honey, dates, or raisins so I used an extra apple. They weren't very sweet, but I still thought they were delicious. Next time I'll try it with just dates or raisins and see if that makes it sweet enough before adding in the honey. I added extra pumpkin puree to make sure they'd be moist. You could also add applesauce (or only use applesauce if you're not a fan of pumpkin).
P.S. Make sure you have some ghee on hand to enjoy with these. I am out and that made my muffins sad.

Love to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment