Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Crossing the Ocean


"To Christan, May your writing get you across the ocean. Yann Martel"
My aunt and I wanted the personal inscription to say, "To Christan, the future greatest writer ever. Love, Yann" He totally thought it was meant for a young namesake so it was a bit mortifying when I told him it was for me. Nonetheless, I like this one. Time to write and be transported.
Despite freezing temps and snow flurries that would make even Southern grownups shriek with delight, my Aunt Debbie and I trekked up to Nashville to see Yann Martel at the Nashville Public Library this past Saturday. Most of our day was spent driving or waiting in line to get a ticket, but it was completely worth it.

The auditorium was smaller than we expected, but it made for a much more intimate setting. We sat only three rows back from the stage. After being introduced by the Mayor, Martel took the podium in an understated, but scholarly blue sweater and glasses; his hair cropped short to his head. It wasn’t the picture I had of him in my mind. The photo in the back of Life of Pi, depicts a man with free and wild hair, a slight furrow in his brow, and inquisitive eyes that weren’t covered by lenses. Instead he looked decidedly normal, like your average English teacher at the local high school. I instantly loved him more.

He talked of how Life of Pi came about, how initially it was to be an elephant in the life boat and then a rhinoceros. He explained that when writing he was most concerned with the mechanics of the story, not the symbolism. He is often asked what Richard Parker, the tiger, was intended to symbolize, and his response is that he didn’t have a specific symbolic meaning in mind—that is mostly left up to the reader’s interpretation—he just focused on constructing the story and making sure the foundation was firm. He talked of his writing process, how he researched everything from religion to zoology to currents of the Pacific Ocean for two years, producing over 300 pages of notes. Then he cut up the notes and placed them into themed envelopes. Then he took one envelope at a time and began to form his story. Brilliant—I’m always eager to learn the secret writing processes of great authors.

He spoke of religion, how he used to hate it and preferred to be a rationalist, until one day he realized that the logical, everything can be explained by science life style was stifling his happiness and his creativity. He was tired of living life on a straight path so he flew to India in search of inspiration and a place to flex his author’s craft. There the seed was planted for the book that has quickly become a modern day classic.

Though his main purpose was to discuss the book, he words stirred my soul and sparked long and honest conversations about religion and even politics between Aunt Debbie and me. That's the power of an author's words, whether spoken or written. They inspire me, move me, and motivate me to write more and create more and touch people through words.

I did take copious notes during the talk, but unfortuantely I don't have them in front of me. Otherwise I'd shower you with much more wisdom and insight from Mr. Martel. Just know that it was a wonderful trip, and if you ever get the chance to hear Mr. Martel speak, then jump at it. Take your own aunt and spend the day making memories and growing closer. And if you happen to be in Nashville, eat the tomato bisque at the Province Cafe in side the library. It was divine.

The crustless quiche was gorgeous but definitely needed some seasoning.


2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to spend an afternoon with Aunt Debbie. Wish I could have been with you.
    Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a less public arena, she'll tell you he prompted diarrhea of the mouth in me, but, as she said, he was inspiring and I had the most congenial company - remember the days when we could solve the world problems over a pitcher of beer? It's a memory I will treasure the rest of my life.
    Love YOU both!

    ReplyDelete