Thursday, March 7, 2013

Minesweeper Meditation

I woke up this morning to my usual routine, but intsead of immediately jumping on the computer and blogging, I took a comfortable seat on the floor and meditated using a chakra meditation script. I feel calm and empowered, ready for the day, and the crown of my head is abuzz--my energies and emotions are ready to go!

Meditation has a host of benefits. It helps reduce anxiety attacks as it lowers the levels of blood lactate; builds self confidence; increases serotonin which influences moods and behaviour (low levels of serotonin are associated with depression, headaches and insomnia); enhances energy, strength and vigour; helps keep blood pressure normal; reduces stress and tension; creates a state of deep relaxation and general feeling of wellbeing; increases concentration and strengthens the mind; helps reduce heart disease and helps with weight loss. That's just a small sampling of what meditation can do, but one of this things I love most about meditation are the revelations, big or small, that arise. For example, a line from this morning's script said "for today release attitudes and patterns that no longer serve you", and of course I thought of my emotional eating (because that's always my go to thought my prompts like these). Then somehow, affirming that I will release the emotional eating patterns for today led me to the realization that I have a fear of my creativity and a fear of my spirituality. Big leap, no?

You see boredom is a big binge trigger for me. There are several things that I could occupy my time with. Things that I want to do, like writing stories, reading, yoga, painting, decorating the apartment, etc. All of these things would be a great alternative to bingeing, but I stand there staring into the cabinets knowing nothing in my physical or emotional being wants to eat, and I eat anyway because I am too scared of what will arise out of the creativity or spirituality that those activities will foster. Am I afraid my stories will reveal all of my dark and twisty insides? Am I worried I'll be criticized for my belief in a connection to the divine through yoga and meditation? Will it turn some people on their heads that I might actually think there is a little bit of the divine in all of us (and therefore that connects us)? Probably all that and more. But I tell ya, those questions reek of seeking the approval of others don't they? Maybe that's what I'm truly afraid of-- that others won't approve of me, my ideas, beliefs, creations; therefore I stifle the creative and spiritual yearnings with binges.

Wow, see, that's the power of meditation. It removes the blockage from the pathway and lights up the road ahead. Kind of like Minesweeper when you click just the right box and it uncovers a slew of others. I always got so excited when I clicked that box (I still do!).

On the one hand it made the job easier by taking away a lot of the unnecessary boxes. On the other hand it forced you to start paying attention to the details in order to decide which box surround by 2's and 3's would be the one in the clear. Meditation helps you click the right box and clear out the extras.

Well, I'm off. Love to you all, and I leave you with this:

“To be creative means to be in love with life. You can be creative only if you love life enough that you want to enhance its beauty, you want to bring a little more music to it, a little more poetry to it, a little more dance to it.” ~Osho

2 comments:

  1. Your post brings to mind these two quotes:

    "The overly examined life has not been lived and the unexamined life is not worth living" - Socrates

    "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

    As always, thanks for the inspiration - gonna get out my meditation (almost spelled 'medication'!) chair and spend a few minutes contemplating your post!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual, everything you write, YOU ROCK!

    ReplyDelete